The Genius that is Legend

John Legend at the Citi Presents
Evenings with Legends show
on 29 January 2014 in New York.
I went to my first concert  John Legend, not one to be swayed by popular culture, I was initially very apprehensive to go to this event.

Largely to appease my beautiful wife  I decided to swallow my idiosyncratic tendencies and comply.

Sitting there waiting for the show to start, I felt quite happy I had follow through on my plan to take a stiff dose of paracetamol  all the screaming was going to give me a massive migraine.

Mr Legend entered the stage  about 8 mins behind schedule (Sorry, I am anal about schedules).

From the first syllable the gent dropped,  I could "see" how the female undergarments of some of the ladies dropped too.
They were elated by this maestro. During the show there were some moments where I wondered about my wife too. 

I know I may be her black Adonis  but man, that guy was definitely a black Zeus on the night. 

What an epic performance. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and to see my wife do the same.

All of my whining aside  there are some great things I learnt this evening.

As is customary in these type of shows  Mr Legend narrated his journey to where he is today, from the small town of Spring Field, Ohio to play in front of thousands in countries few of us will ever all get to visit.

John Legend concert - Cape Town 2014


This journey of struggle and grinding made me thing of the typical journey of success for an entrepreneur  14 Years is what it takes to be an overnight success.

John Legend formally started his journey in 1998 but only got his "big break"  which seems small now, from 2001 onwards. Starting small, working on the projects/ventures of others before launching his own solo venture in 2004.

Dedication to the craft and putting time into what he has a passion for  has turned this hopeful into very successful. Living his dream and doing what he loves.

I doubt it was easy and unfortunately we were not there to hear his stories of struggle and see battle scares  but what is apparent is his respect for the craft and enjoyment of his journey.

We can all learn a lot from this  in our own pursuits to living our dream and the dedication it takes to achieve those goals.

Mr Legend  thank you for schooling this lowly entrepreneur and motivating me to keep on  grinding. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Us, young Entrepreneurs are Lazy

Entrepreneurialism is a psychological affliction

No easy route, no shortcuts - a look at 'White Monopoly Capital' and Stellenbosch as enemy