Great lessons learnt this week

Having made it to the end of the work week, after a very interesting and fulfilling week, I cannot but help feel warm inside – thinking of some of the things that happened this week.

At the Developer Factory we have Appies (Apprentices), which I try to have an interaction with on a weekly basis, largely to see how they are doing on the programme and if the mentorship is going well for them.

During one of these interactions, the Appie I was speaking with, comments to me that he was not aware that he would be getting a stipend for his Apprenticeship, he was just happy to be here and enhancing his skills.
The opportunity itself was payment enough – I thought that was arguably one of the best things I have heard in my life.
How many of us, in this day and age, would be willing to get up every morning and do a solid days work as an investment for your future – WITHOUT PAY or any short term benefit?

This young person taught me something about passion and living your passion, too few of us ever follow our passions with such dedication and resolve.
Sure, he could have opted to go get a short term, paying job – even in an economy with such sever unemployment, there are still many opportunities in retail (as a bag packer or other entry level position).

Developer Factory recruitment pamphlet

The second instance was during an interview I had with a potential Appie – the candidate, as what that is what he was at the stage, come in dressed in a beautiful suit. I kind of felt really bad, I was dressed in shorts – the Cape was blazing this week, could not put on long pants. Nevertheless, after sincerely apologising for how I looked, we conducted our discussion and interview.

During our chat, the young man says to me – “I want to be here, I know that this is the opportunity that will open doors for me.” “I have always wanted to be in an environment with software developers and looking at the guys sitting outside, (referring to the development team outside, in the open plan office) I know that this is where I would like to be” He then further said; “Even if you hire me as a sweeper, I will take it, I just want to be where software developers are and where development is happening

This touched my heart – here is a guy, who knew what he wants from his life and that the journey has to start somewhere.
Even if he was to be hired as a sweeper, the journey would have started for him; for he would be close to where he wants to be.

We tend to take things for granted, that not everyone has access to people and mentors who practice the job you one day you want to do.
That some of us, study from a theoretical perspective on what we would like to do with our lives and what that job entails.

This young person taught me something too – follow your dreams with all your might. Find the place or the people who will help you better yourself and get you on the journey of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Us, young Entrepreneurs are Lazy

Entrepreneurialism is a psychological affliction

No easy route, no shortcuts - a look at 'White Monopoly Capital' and Stellenbosch as enemy