The deal with my title

I get a lot of queries when I present my business cards to people - the title on the card reads; PathFinder. – "path finder" they would say, "what is that?"

I have long been trying to lead without a title - my aim consistently has been to become a corporate leader in South Africa and the world.
I never went out to become a CE or an MD or any other fancy title out there. All I wanted to do is build a major business, build my skills and abilities in the process and help nurture other people and of course, make a whole lot of money in the process - very naive view, I know. But these are my guiding principles throughout my career as an entrepreneur.

Being in business for a bit, one realises how the world is not necessarily how you would like it to be. I realised that I cloud not go with a blank space for my title - after all people respond differently to you if you have an impressive sounding title.
Doors open sooner and more accommodatingly. People are happy to do business with you and want to know that more about you and the journey traveled in growing the business.

So a title had to be placed on my card.

I started thinking about what is it that I really do here - what role I play. I generally do whatever needs doing at that stage, but the essence of my role is very different.
Focusing on my primary role and not my ego, gave a better indication of what I would like to be known for in the organization – the role and contribution I would like to bring on a daily basis.

A PATHFINDER, for that is what I do; I find the most relevant means to chart a path for the development and growth of this business.

I always imagine it as charting a way in a forest, machete in hand, cutting a path. Then would find a tall tree to climb and look out to the distance to see what progress we still need to make, what progress we have made and determine the energy needed to go further.

As an entrepreneur, the ability to be a visionary is crucial, one needs to see the future you are after and find ways of charting a route to that future. It will always be tiring and draining but as a pathfinder one needs to always focus on what could be and get sustenance from that vision.


I endeavour to keep on charting the way, changing course when required or the need arises but being steadfast and focused on the goal set.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Us, young Entrepreneurs are Lazy

Entrepreneurialism is a psychological affliction

No easy route, no shortcuts - a look at 'White Monopoly Capital' and Stellenbosch as enemy