You are fired VS You are dismissed

I have never really been dismissed from things that mattered to me - I may have had a dismissal from a relationship of two (being dumped), but nothing really concrete.

So - it always affects me when I have to dismiss a person that is not fullfilling their end of the bargain - it's like your bank not working for you, when the time comes, you have to part ways.

Sitting and preparing for a dismissal - I find a lot of questions coming to mind, questions I think the dismissee may want answers to. 
As always a victim during these sort of transactions - the dismissee would want clarity on how they have gotten to this point and how it was my fault (to my experience, it's never their doing - no act is a heinous as this)

So I have a few things that make it comfortable for me - for as much as the dismissee is a victim, I too, am a victim of their actions, actions that have led to this point. 
I almost always try to do this on a Friday or towards the end of a work week. I find this allows for any ill feelings to be dampened during the weekend.

I also always ensure it is done late afternoon before close of day - to avoid people being negative the whole day at the office or being forced to accompany someone off the property. 
This is also to avoid any outburst that could negatively impact on the rest of the team and business.

All this has made me wonder if there are really good ways of giving someone such bad news? I sure all they hear are not my well throughout reasons and proof of misconduct on their part - but of the family and friends they have to report this too. Not to mention - the financial implication of this on their personal bottom line.

At the end of it all, it does not matter whether it is fired or dismissed - it all hurts and needs to be managed properly, speedily and with great compassion


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Us, young Entrepreneurs are Lazy

Entrepreneurialism is a psychological affliction

No easy route, no shortcuts - a look at 'White Monopoly Capital' and Stellenbosch as enemy