20 years of democracy - how I remember it all

The year was 1993, I, a wide eyed kid was one of 6 kids making up the first wave of black kids newly welcomed to the white schools in Cradock.

This was still Apartheid South Africa - though Madiba was out of prison and negotiations well on the way for a democratic South Africa.

A lot of preparation went into this 'unlikely integration' - the past two years a small group of us, through the foresight of our parents, had been attending afternoon classes in learning the English language.

Having been at an Afrikaans medium school, from Crèche to now - I was able to get away with communication in Afrikaans. I was lucky enough to go across the N10 - which divided Cradock with blacks on the one side and coloured or brown people on the other; to better schools than what was available in the black township.
A little known fact - Afrikaans is the most widely spoken language in South Africa, even today. 

During these classes we learnt the command of the language our parents thought would open doors and opportunities for a better future.

At the school, I was the eldest black kid, in Sub B or Grade 2 - in today's notation. The other 5 were a year behind me. 

The first day was already a culture shock for me, we started off with assembly in a great big hall with wooden floor, and wood against the wall. A great change from the open air assemblies I was used to.

We sat there in a sea of white faces, trying not to feel out of place.

During the first break period, we let loose on to the playground - there were small benches all round the grounds. With a few kids sitting - we joined, and as we sat, they all left. Lifting their noses and saying in Afrikaans that we stink.

This was the start.

Before the week's end, I was involved in my first fight, oddly enough with Steven Sykes, of Sharks rugby fame. To this day, I do not know the reason. I suspect it was racial - kids only enacted what they had learnt from their society.

On my shoulders now was the responsibility of taking care of the younger black compatriots.

A role I would play throughout my school life and well into university.
Looking back at the development of our country - I can see the change, having been up against sceptics and racists. From being the only black kid in the class to being the only black kid on a rugby field with 29 other boys.

The journey has not been easy but it has laid the foundation to the person I am today.


In 20 or so years - I have witnessed how people I have had physical fights with have become good friends to me. How sceptics, both black and white have changed their minds. And we owe this all to our parents who took the risk to push us.

20 years is also far too short to undo all the injustices committed over decades of Apartheid. But daily we need to build on.
We are all in this together as South Africans, natural or adopted. The future of this great land is communally in all our hands.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Us, young Entrepreneurs are Lazy

Entrepreneurialism is a psychological affliction

No easy route, no shortcuts - a look at 'White Monopoly Capital' and Stellenbosch as enemy